Tuesday, September 16, 2014

School stuff and a gluten free crockpot meal!

We have gotten through a whole week of school and are beginning our second full week.  It has been going pretty good so far! Our schedule is beginning to take shape and the students seem to be getting the hang of it all!  

What was really cool today was during Readers Workshop, I was teaching the mini lesson about how readers will go back and reread if they get distracted while reading.  A bunch of my students gave me the connection sign (or the "me too" sign, which is using your thumb and pinky and pointing to yourself and then towards the person talking...not sure if you can picture that!) and they had all remembered learning that in kindergarten!  They were experts at rereading!  Then, during Writer's Workshop, the mini lesson was about things you can do when you think you're done.  The anchor chart looks like this, and while I was making it, the students were telling me everything to add to the chart before I had a chance to write it down! Again, they were experts about continuing to write and work the whole time during Writer's Workshop!  How awesome is that?!  What a great job the kindergarten teachers are doing, especially when the students are remembering mini lessons that most likely happened about a year ago but clearly have stood out for the students.  

Now, to switch gears, I thought I'd share another gluten free recipe with you!  I don't like making things that require so many gf things that I need to buy, so I tend to look for recipes that can just be tweaked with one or two gf ingredients.  Here is the recipe from The Sweets Life:

Ingredients:
-2 1/2 lbs (or 3 cups) chicken breast cut into 1" chunks (I just buy a package of chicken breasts and chop them up.  I don't measure this out!)
-1 cup chopped onion
-1 cup chopped celery
-1 cup chopped carrots
-4-5 cloves garlic, minced
-2 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes, drained
-1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
-1 cup chicken broth (This has to be GF because many broths have wheat flour or some other flour that is off limits to GF folks.  I like Swanson's Organic Chicken Broth)
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 tsp cayenne (1 tbsp for major spice!)
-1 tsp paprika (1 tbsp for major spice!)
-1/2 tsp cumin (1/2 tbsp for major spice!)
-1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce
-blue cheese crumbles, for topping

Directions:
1. Add chopped veggies and garlic to the crock pot. Pour the two cans of (drained) tomatoes into the crockpot. Add black beans, chicken, broth, and spices.
2. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 8-10 hours (may be done sooner than this!). Before serving, stir in hot sauce. Divide among bowls and top with blue cheese.
*keeps for several days, or can be frozen!

SO good and very easy and one that is frequently requested by the hubby!!  I hope you enjoy it if you try it!!

One more thing...if you are interested in trying out this awesome new 3D Fiber Lash mascara, check out my Younique website to learn more and order!! 

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment